Thank you for signing up to participate in this year’s Equitas Health! Today, through early diagnosis and retention in the best treatment, individualswith HIV can reach viral suppression, bringing new hope for long, healthy lives and reduced risk of transmitting the virus. This new possibility is tempered by the sobering fact that three-fourths of HIV-positive Americans have not achieved viral suppression, mostly because they are not yet diagnosed, not retained in care, and not accessingtreatment. Equitas Health and our community partners are committed to changing that.
Our work is far from over, but we have never been more optimistic or resolved: an AIDS-free generation may be within our grasp, if we remain diligent in our efforts. This is possible thanks to your support. The Walk is Central Ohio’s largest public opportunity to raise awareness and critical funds for HIV/AIDS. By participating, you play a leading role in our success. We need the whole community to come together—ask your friends and family to walk with you and support your fundraising—it’s that important!
Your efforts make it possible for us to:
- Test thousands of people each year for HIV and other STDs.
- Provide life-saving medical care and comprehensive services to those living with an HIV diagnosis (this includes specialized HIV care, primary care, case management, housing assistance, behavioral health, and other services).
- Provide outreach and prevention services to those most vulnerable to HIV infection, such as gay and bisexual men, transgender women, and injection drug users.
- Offer effective, cutting-edge strategies such as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).
- Give children impacted by HIV/AIDS the opportunity to participate in Camp Sunrise, a summerresidential camp.
- Advocate for fair and effective HIV/AIDS policies at the city, state and federal levels.
I look forward to joining you at the Walk this year!
William J. Hardy
President & CEO